Born 3.11.1811; died 21.6.1859

Edward Smith Hall (NSW:II) was the eldest son of Edward Smith Hall (NSW:I), known as Monitor Hall, and his wife Charlotte. He was born in Sydney on 24.5.1813. No records are available giving details of Edward’s education. In 1821 Edward Smith Hall (Senior) moved to his land grant at Lake Bathurst and later when Edward Junior was still very young, he was left in charge of the land, known as ‘St. Heliers’.
Edward Junior was married to Caroline Esther, the daughter of Joseph Richardson, a wine merchant of Essex, England on 30.7.1838. They had six children.
Caroline - 1839; Edward Smith (NSW:III) - 1841; Wilfred - 1842; Cedric - 1844; Sarah Emeline - 1846; Alfred - 1847.
In 1855, Edward’s brother Victor arrived at Lake Bathurst claiming half share of ‘St. Heliers’ and set up his home on the northern 500 acres of the property. It was about this time that only Victor’s area became known as ‘St. Heliers’ and the southern area where Edward lived was named ‘Rotherwood’. Bitter disputes developed over the boundary, resulting in many court hearings between the brothers.
In April 1866, Edward developed an abscess in the chest and died at ‘Rotherwood’ on 20.5.1866. He is buried on a hill overlooking the property and the Church of England Minister, Rev. Richard Leigh, performed the burial. His wife Caroline died on 4.2.1875 at Lake Bathurst and is buried next to her husband and son Alfred, who died on 10.10.1867 aged 19 years.
SOURCE: Australian Dictionary of Biography - Online Edition: Correspondence by Victor Hall to his father: R. of B.D.& M.

Born 4.1.1815; Married 30.9.1835 to George Campbell Curlewis; Died 18.4.1854

Born 13.12.1816; Died 19.10.1839

Born 9.8.1818; Died 9.12.1832

Born 22.11.1819; Married 23.10.1839 to Francis O’Brien; Died 7.2.1841

Born 15.7.1821; Married 15.3.1843 to Francis O’Brien: Died 7.7.1860.

Born 20.8.1823; Died 10.12.1823.

Victor, the second son of Edward Smith Hall (NSW:I) and his first wife Charlotte, was born in the family home in Goulburn Street, Sydney on 24.4.1825*. He was baptised on 30th September 1835, aged 10. It is on record that he used the name Victor Hugh up until the time of his Baptism when he was re-named Victor Branchcombe Claribut St. Heliers Hall. His mother died during childbirth when Victor was only 18 months old.
In 1831, his father married Sarah Holmes, the daughter of Richard Holmes and his wife Sarah from Kentish Town, Middlesex England. Sarah had been employed as a governess for the children of William Cox Esq., of ‘Hobartville’, Richmond, NSW.
It is believed that Victor attended The Sydney College for a period of time in the late 1830s and references are made in his correspondence regarding another school mate attending the college at the same time. The Sydney College closed in 1850 but its premises were the old buildings now used by Sydney Grammar School in College Street, Sydney.
In his father’s bible there is an entry stating that he went to California in March 1849 but there is no further record of his whereabouts until 5.9.1849 when he arrived in San Francisco after a passage of 12 weeks. An original letter held by the family of the late Robert George Hall gives a vivid description of his time spent in the region stating that he never spent time in the Goldfields of San Francisco, but chose to work around the port unloading cargo where he was able to earn as much in a month as he did in a year in Australia. Later he worked for a German man who owned a market garden. Victor returned to Australia in January 1852.
On 21st March 1853 Victor Married Susan Mary Mercer (aged 20) at St. Andrew’s Scots Church Sydney. The ceremony was conducted by Rev. John McGarvie and attended by Victor’s father and sister, Charlotte.
Susan had departed from Plymouth, England on 3.9.1848 on the Ship ‘Waverley’ and arrived in Sydney on 20.12.1848. Susan was from London and was listed as a nursemaid.Her parents were William and Susan (nee Stretch) Mercer. In correspondence written in January 1853 by Victor’s brother William to his father, ‘Miss Mercer’ was referred to in the context of being employed by Edward.
Victor and Susan’s first child, Mary Victoria was born in Sydney on 25.1.1854 but died on 26.12.1854 aged 11 months.
The 1000 acres of land granted to E.S. Hall (Monitor) at Lake Bathurst was finally documented in 1835. Victor’s brother Edward Smith Hall (NSW:II) had been managing the land for a number of years. The property was transferred in equal shares to Edward and Victor.So in 1855, Victor travelled to Lake Bathurst with his wife and set up home on the northern section of the property. This section was known as ‘St. Heliers’ and the southern part where Edward and his family lived was known as ‘Rotherwood’. Victor and Susan’s first home was in the old dairy.
Victor was a very religious man who read his Bible daily and with other Christians in the area, held religious meetings in family homes until St. John’s Church, Lake Bathurst was completed in 1860.
Relations with his brother Edward deteriorated due to disputes over the boundary between the two properties and conditions of the area were difficult and bitterly cold. Court hearings in the 1850s between the two brothers did not improve relations. At one stage, Victor planned to leave ‘St. Heliers’ to try to make his fortune at the goldfiels. His father died in 1860 and brother Edward died in 1866.
Victor and Susan had 16 children: Mary Victoria (I) - 1854; Mary Victoria (II) - 1855; Sophia Susan - 1856; Jane - 1857; Victor Branchcombe (II) - 1858; Twins, Charlotte and George Mercer (I) - 1860; George Mercer (II) - 1861; Matilda Anne - 1862; Flora Georgiana - 1864; Charles - 1865; Henry - 1866; Fanny Caroline - 1868; Frances Jane - 1869; Frederick Holmes - 1871; Maria Anne - 1873.
A new home was built on ‘St. Heliers’ in 1883 but only occupied until 1896. Folk law provides that the house became haunted by its own resident ghost after the murder of Victor and Susan’s cook. Later generations of Halls from ‘Rotherwood’ referred to it as the Ghost House and visitors were always taken to visit the apparition. The home was never occupied again.
Victor and Susan moved to Sydney in 1896 and owned their own home in Queensborough Road, Croydon. They named the house ‘Truro’. Susan travelled to Napier in New Zealand in February 1898 to visit Fanny and Francis Fulton and returned in April of that year. Victor lived at Croydon until his death on 14.12.1904. Susan died on 4.6.1915. They are both buried in St. Thomas’ Anglican Church Cemetery, Enfield.

SOURCE: *His birth date is shown on his Baptism Certificate as 1824 and the entry in his father’s bible is 1825. His Father gave evidence in court in 1857 that the birth year was 1825 and a Statutory Declaration by Victor in 1899 gives his birth as 1825.
‘Lake Bathurst: investigating its history and environs’. by Allan J. Mortlock.
Correspondence written by Victor Hall.
Correspondence written by William Hall.
‘Victor of St. Heliers’ by P.S. Talbot
‘Monitor’s Children’ by Sue Talbot
Information from the late H.B. Hall of Nyngan.
Information from Meryl Finch of Adelaide.
Information from Peggy Ross of Brisbane.
R of B D & M.
Peter Yeend, Archivist of The King’s School, Parramatta.


Fanny Fidela was the first child of E.S. Hall (NSW:I) and Sarah (nee Holmes) and she was born in Sydney on 9.9.1834*. Her mother died before Fanny was four years old and her early childhood was spent with her father at Lake Bathurst and in the Hawkesbury region of NSW. Fanny enjoyed singing.
An entry in E.S. Hall’s (NSW:I) Bible reads:
“Fanny went to Singleton Sept 1848. Returned home for good in January 1853. Absent 4 yrs and 4 months”.
In a letter written on 14.1.1853 to his father, Fanny’s brother William acknowledges Fanny’s return and in later letters, he recalls that she had worked for a Mrs Craddock in Singleton whom William claimed had treated her poorly.
In 1856, Francis Crossley Fulton travelled to Sydney from his home in Waitaki, New Zealand to further his commercial education and whilst there met Fanny Fidela Hall, who was then aged 22 and they were married on 20.11.1858 at St. James Anglican Church, King Street, Sydney.
Fulton was born in Futtyghur, Bengal, India on 31.3.1836. He was the son of Major Robert Bell Fulton who had, with his love Elizabeth Stephenson, run away to Gretna Green to marry and then returned to Hillsborough to marry formally. Francis was educated in England and sailed to Dunedin in 1852. He later owned farming areas near Outram, Waitaki and Otago.
He established a successful shipping agency in Dunedin and he also worked as a commission agent in Dunedin. In 1838 he founded the New Zealand Land and Loan Company Limited with the Head Office for the colony at Napier. Francis held the position of managing director from the date of the incorporation of the company.
Fanny and Francis had six children:
Eustace Henry - 1860; Alicia Charlotte - 1861; Lena Eliza - 1863; Florence Dora - 1864; Rosa Fidela - 1866; Iris Fidela - 1868.
Francis died on 1.5.1901 at Napier and is buried in the Outram Cemetery. Fanny Fidela died at Hastings, New Zealand on 23.11.1918. She is buried in Havelock North Cemetery, Hawkes Bay.

SOURCE: *Birth date on Baptism Certificate shows 1833. Entry in Father’s bible shows 1833 but crossed out and then 1834. Similar error was made on her brother Victor’s Baptism Certificate (both baptised on the same day). Marriage Certificate gives birth year as 1836.
Correspondence written by William Holmes Hall to his father and sister Fanny.
Family Bible of E.S. Hall (Monitor).
“Memoirs of the Fultons” compiled by Sir Theodore C. Hope KCSI CIE.
“Monitor’s Children” by Sue Talbot.
Diana Manson of New Zealand.
Meryl Finch of Adelaide.
R of B D & M.

William Holmes Hall was born on 26.2.1836 at Lake Bathurst, NSW the only son of Edward Smith Hall (NSW:I) and his wife Sarah (nee Holmes). He was educated by his father and when he was fourteen years old he went to sea on board “The Brightman’. It is known that he made one voyage to and from San Francisco in 1850 and decided that life on the ocean wave was not for him.
In 1851 he was employed by a draper, William Ogg who owned a store at Morpeth, NSW and in 1852 William Hall travelled to South Australia and found employment with another draper, Mr. Jaffrey at Gawler Town.
He held a variety of positions in South Australia and Victoria over the following few years before marrying Augusta Britton Free (1823 - 1910) on 14th October 1854 in the Registrar’s Office, Victoria Square, Adelaide.
Augusta was born in London and was the daughter of William Henry Free and Charlotte Wigmore. William and Augusta had two children:
Edward Smith Hall (SA:I) in 1855 and Fanny Augusta in 1860.
He was employed by the South Australian Education Department from 1859 - 1896. He taught at Virginia, Norwood, Magill, Noarlunga, Yatala Prison School, Glenelg and finally Glen Osmond before retiring to Victoria in December 1896 to be near his daughter Fanny Augusta Hiscox (nee Hall). William’s grandson, Wilfrid spent time living at Glen Osmond with William and Augusta.
William’s teaching career had spanned thirty seven years. He was a good correspondent and a number of very interesting letters are still held by family members.
In 1898 he spent several months in Napier, New Zealand visiting his sister Fanny.
He died at his grandson’s home at New Gisborne, Victoria on 6th August 1921 and was buried in the Boroondara Cemetery, Kew Victoria.

SOURCE: Personal letters written by William, now held by Frank C.K. Hall.
Meryl Finch of Adelaide.
‘Monitor’s Children’ by Sue Talbot.

Born 21.3.1848; Died 22.4.1848

One intriguing aspect of this Hall family is that there are eleven people who carry the name - Edward Smith Hall. To assist the researcher in the identification of these men, they have been identified as follows:
Our first ancestor to arrive in Australia was -
Edward Smith Hall, (1786 - 1860) known as Monitor Hall. (NSW:I)
For the next five generations the first son was given the same name. They lived in NSW.
Edward Smith Hall (1813 - 1860) known as Junior. (NSW:II)
Edward Smith Hall (1841 - 1917) known as Old Ned (NSW:III)
Edward Smith Hall (1893 - 1952) known as Young Ned. (NSW:IV)
Edward Smith Hall (1918 - 2000) known as Ted. (NSW:V)
Edward Smith Anthony Hall (1950 - ) known as Tony. (NSW:VI)

Monitor Hall’s son William (who settled in South Australia) named his son
Edward Smith Hall (1855 - 1945) known as Geep. (SA:I)
Second son of the above, was named Edward Smith Hall (1883 - 1946) known as Ted. (SA:II)
First son of the above, was named Edward Smith Hall (1911 - 1974) known as Ted. (SA:III)
William Harvey Hall, nephew of Edward Smith Hall (SA:II) named his first son,
Graeme Edward Smith Hall (1940 - ) known as Graeme. (SA:IV)
First son of the above was named, Andrew Edward Smith Hall, (1965 - ) known as Andrew. (SA:V)